Vegetable Dalia Pulao (Indian Porridge)
Dalia also known as broken wheat is known for its nutritional value. If you are looking for a high protein and fiber diet with low fat and calories dalia is the best option to go for. It can be used to prepare vegetable dalia pulao or sweet dalia cooked in milk.
1. 1 cup of dalia
2. 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
3. 1 medium sized tomato finely chopped
4. 1 small size potato chopped in small pieces
5. ¼ cup of french beans
6. ¼ cup of peas
7. ¼ tsp of ginger finely gratted
8. 1-2 garlic cloves finely chopped
9. ½ tsp of cumin seeds
10. 1 green chili as per taste chopped
11. ¼ tsp of turmeric powder (optional)
12. ½ tsp of garam masala
13. Salt to taste
14. 1 tbsp of refined oil (ghee can also be used)
15. 1 tbsp of ghee (for roasting dalia)
16. ¼ cup of fresh coriander leaves to garnish
• In a pan or kadai heat 1 tbsp of ghee.
• Add dalia to it and roast till it starts leaving aroma and starts turning golden brown. Switch off the gas as soon as it starts to turn golden brown. Make sure to constantly keep stirring while roasting the dalia. Keep the pan aside.
• Heat oil in a pressure cooker
• Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
• Add garlic and sauté.
• Add ginger and green chilies and saute.
• Add onions and sauté till they become transparent.
• Add tomatoes and drizzle a little water. Cover with the temporary lid on the cooker and cook for 2-3 minutes.
• Remove the lid and crush the tomatoes with the help of karchi (spatula).
• Cook on medium flame till the masala starts leaving oil.
• Add potatoes, french beans and peas and cook for 2-3 minutes with temporary lid on.
• Add salt, turmeric powder and garam masala. Mix well.
• Add dalia and mix.
• Add water to the extent that it just covers the top surface of the mixture.
• Pressure cooker for another 1-2 whistles and cook for another 5 minutes on the low flame. Let the pressure cooker cool down. Open the lid and see if the dalia is cooked properly. In case it is required cook for another few minutes as required on low flame till it is properly cooked.
• Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve hot with chapatti curd or chutney.