1. 500 gms of palak (Spinach)
2. 1 cup of square shaped paneer cubes
3. 1 onion finely chopped (medium sized)
4. 2 tomatoes diced into small pieces (medium sized)
5. ¼ tsp cumin seeds
6. ¼ tsp of ginger finely grated/chopped
7. ¼ tsp of garlic finely grated/chopped
8. 2-3 green chilies (or as per taste)
9. ¼ tsp of turmeric powder
10. 2 tsp of kauri methi
11. ½ tsp garam masala
12. Salt to taste
13. 1 tsp of fresh cream for garnishing
14. 3 tsp refined oil
15. Oil for shallow frying the paneer cubes
16. Ice water for blanching the spinach
Blanching the Spinach and making puree
• Remove the stems of the spinach and wash it well.
• In a pan boil 3 cups of water and add a little salt.
• To this add spinach and boil for 5-6 minutes.
• Once it is boiled take a bowl of ice water and transfer the spinach to the ice water.
• Strain the spinach after 1 minute.
• Transfer it to a mixer and grind it to make a smooth puree. No need to add water for grinding the spinach
Frying the Paneer cubes
• Heat oil in a pan for shallow frying.
• Add paneer cubes to it and fry till both the sides turn golden brown.
• Take them out on an absorbent paper.
• I use them as it is but if you want them to be softer then take them out from the pan and put them in water. It will make the paneer cubes softer.
• Heat oil in pan.
• Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
• Add garlic and sauté.
• Add ginger and green chilies and sauté.
• Add onions and sauté till they become transparent.
• Add tomatoes and drizzle a little water. Cover the lid.
• Cook on medium flame till the masala starts leaving oil.
• Add salt, turmeric powder and kasuri methi. Crush the kasuri methi with your palms before adding.
• Add garam masala and stir well.
• Add spinach puree and mix well.
• Cook till the puree becomes thick and the spinach is properly cooked.
• Add paneer cubes and cook for another minute. Keep aside 4-5 cubes of paneer for garnishing.
• Switch off the flame.
• Take it out in the serving bowl and garnish with fresh cream and cubes of paneer.
Serve hot and enjoy with tandoori naan, butter naan or simple chapatti.
1. Frying paneer is optional, it can be added plain also.
2. Cream is also optional.